Apply for a Student Visa in Japan


We have covered the topic of studying in Japan throughout our guide. That being said, you probably have some questions about how to come to Japan and how to get a visa, and what type of visa to get. We will answer any questions you may have here about how to get a student visa in Japan.

If you are going to study in Japan for more than 3 months, you need a student visa. However, before proceeding, we advise you to contact the university you have been accepted to and find out how they handle the situation.

How to get a student visa in Japan?

In general, there are two ways to obtain a student visa:

  • In order to study in Japan, you must apply directly for a student visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country. If you are applying from a location outside your home country, the visa laws and regulations apply to you as well.
  • A staff member of your university can also apply for you at the immigration office. In this way, you will have a certificate that proves that you have the right to live and study in Japan. Once you have this certificate, you can send it directly to your local embassy or consulate to apply for a student visa.

Once you have chosen an institution of higher learning in Japan and have obtained your admission letter, the next step is to obtain a visa. There are two steps to obtaining a student visa for Japan:

  • Obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Japan Immigration Services Agency.
  • Apply for a student visa at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

How to obtain a CoE for Japan?

The Certificate of Eligibility is a document that every foreigner entering Japan for a long-term stay must-have. It is not a visa, but a prerequisite for applying for a student visa in your home country. In addition, since you need this certificate before entering Japan, your university is responsible for processing the application on your behalf.

The Certificate of Eligibility supports the application for a visa to Japan. It certifies that you comply with Japanese immigration rules and regulations. And the document proves that you have the approval of the immigration authorities in Japan.

The processing of the CoE for Japan takes between 1 and 3 months. So you should take this time into account when applying for your visa. In addition, obtaining the certificate will make it easier for you to obtain your visa, enter the country and pass through security checks at the airport. However, the certificate does not guarantee acceptance of the student visa for Japan.

Certificate of Eligibility Requirements

The requirements for the Certificate of Eligibility are listed on the official Japanese immigration website. In addition, the required documents differ from one university to another. Therefore, we advise you to contact your university for more details.

But even if your university handles the application, you still need to provide some personal documents, such as

  • Passport photos.
  • A photocopy of your passport.
  • academic documents.
  • proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your study and living expenses in Japan (bank statement, sponsorship letter, proof of scholarship, etc.).

Documents required to obtain a student visa in Japan

Although the documents to be provided may vary from one university to another, here are the documents that all of them require to be provided:

  1.  The visa application fee. These fees vary from country to country. However, we recommend that you contact the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country.
  2. A visa application form. Make sure that the application contains all the necessary information. Any error in the form will result in the rejection of the application.
  3.  A letter of acceptance from a Japanese university, which you can request from your university.
  4.  A recent medical certificate must be less than 3 months old.
  5.  A document proving that you have a clean criminal record.
  6.  3 passport photos with a white background.
  7.  A certified copy of the original information page of your passport. The passport must be valid for more than 6 months from the date of application.
  8. The applicant’s CV. This usually includes originals or certified copies of the applicant’s most recent diplomas (at least one high school diploma). You must send 3 letters of recommendation from your former teachers (from the institution that issued your degrees).
    A stamped bank statement that proves the applicant’s ability to cover the cost of study in Japan.
  9. If you are a scholarship recipient, you will need a letter of support from the organization that awarded you the scholarship. This letter will prove that the organization will cover your expenses for the entire period of time stipulated by the scholarship. This letter is required regardless of the type of scholarship you are receiving.
  10. The original or a photocopy of your birth certificate.

Student visa to Japan: price

Visa fees for Japan range from 700 to 6,000 yen. A single-entry visa costs 3,000 yen (about $21), while a double- or multiple-entry visa costs 6,000 yen (about $42). In addition, visa fees may vary depending on the country, the reason for your visit, and your local currency. Keep in mind that you only pay the visa fee if your application is approved.

How long can I remain in Japan on a student visa?

The length of time you can stay in Japan on a student visa is indicated on your landing permit and on your residency card (which you apply for once you have set foot in Japan). A student visa allows you to stay in Japan for a period ranging from 3 months to 4 years and 3 months. In fact, the length of stay in the country increases in increments such as 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 1 year and 3 months, 2 years, 2 years and 3 months, and so on.