How to Obtain a Student Visa for South Korea?


Further to our article on the study guide in South Korea, it is now time to look at how to obtain a student visa in South Korea.

First of all, you will need to maintain an approval letter from a Korean university. Of course, the residency program varies depending on the study program you are aiming for.

Types of visa to study in South Korea

Any foreign student who plans to study at a Korean university for more than 90 days must apply for a student visa. There are 2 types of student visas in South Korea:

1) The South Korean D-2 study visa.

2) The South Korean general education visa D-4.

Note: In South Korea, the visa is called ‘Sajeong’, which is the official name of the visa according to the Korean Ministry of Justice.

The process of requesting a study visa in Korea begins with the submission of an admission certificate issued by a Korean institution of higher learning. To obtain this document, applicants must generally pay tuition for at least two terms of study. The academic year in South Korea is divided into 4 terms, each term is 10 weeks long.

In addition, with a student visa, you can apply for a part-time job once you have studied for more than 6 months in South Korea.

South Korea D-2 Student Visa

The D-2 is the visa required for all students who wish to study at the Bachelor’s level or continue their studies (Master’s and Doctorate) in South Korea. This visa is required for students from all over the world.

Procedure for applying for a D-2 visa for study in South Korea
The whole process is done through the Korean embassy or consulate in your country.

You will need the following papers and documents to obtain a South Korean D-2 study visa:

  • A valid passport.
  • A visa application form (obtained from the Korean embassy or consulate).
  • A confirmation of acceptance from the Korean university where you wish to study.
  • Most recent study certificates obtained.
  • A document from the student’s bank account.

South Korea General Education Visa D-4
The D-4 is a visa issued:

  • Students who wish to reside in South Korea study the Korean language.
  • Persons who study at educational institutions other than the Academic Research Institute.
  • And finally, to people who come to do an internship industrial and technical internships in the Korean national research schools in Korea.

How to obtain a D-4 general education visa

In fact, the procedure is very similar to that for the D-2 study visa. In principle, the application is made through the Korean embassy or consulate in your country.

The requirements to obtain a D-4 general internship visa and the necessary documents:

  • A valid passport.
  • A visa application form (to be obtained from the Korean Embassy or Consulate).
  • Certificate of acceptance and enrollment for an internship or study at an educational institution school other than the Academic Research Institute.
    Academic Research Institute.
  • Most recent certificates of study obtained.
  • A statement of the bank account balance (provided it exceeds $1,000 at local banks or documents related to the academic exchange).
  • A certificate of identification (for those who cannot prove their financial ability to cover study, internship, and living expenses).

South Korea student visa: price, validity period, and extension

The visa fee is $40 for a single-entry visa and up to $90 for a multiple-entry visa. Fees may vary depending on international practices, national agreements, and the principle of reciprocity. Therefore, always check with the South Korean embassy or consulate in your home country.

A Korean student visa is valid for a maximum of two years. If you extend your study period in South Korea, you must apply for a renewal of your study visa on-site. To do this, you must pay the tuition fees for the remaining semesters in advance and then go to the local immigration office to apply for a visa extension.

To facilitate the process and get more instructions, contact your university. You can also visit the Hi Korea website.

In addition, foreign students with visas longer than 90 days must apply for a foreigner registration card at the immigration office in South Korea. To avoid any fines, be sure to obtain them within 90 days of your arrival in Korea. This alien registration card can replace an identity card in the country. In addition, the Alien Card, combined with a single-entry visa, can be used as a multiple-entry visa in Korea.

For more information and contacts about studying in Korea, visit the official Korean government website.