In the previous article, we talked about the types of student housing and information about student life in the United States. In this article, you will learn how to get student housing in the United States.
Universities do not require you to live in any particular type of housing. You can choose to live on or off campus.
If you choose on-campus housing, you will need to make a request for it on your university’s official website.
Sample application for on-campus housing
Link to the request for on-campus housing at Duke University in North Carolina.
Things to consider when choosing your student housing in the United States
- With on-campus housing, everything you need is within easy reach. The main advantage is that you won’t need transportation.
- In addition to being close to your college, you’ll have meals and other amenities.
- The disadvantages of on-campus housing are the lack of personal space. In the case of private rooms, your room may be small. If you have a shared room, your roommate may not be friendly or respect your privacy. In either case, you may be disturbed.
- Off-campus housing is not always that close. You will need transportation to get to the university.
- The appeal of off-campus housing is its quiet atmosphere. You can also choose to live alone or share the space with your friends.
- Apartment prices range from $900 to $2,000 per month.
- Renting a one-bedroom apartment in the downtown area will cost you about $1,000 per month.
- A one-bedroom apartment outside of downtown will cost you about $900 per month.
- A three-bedroom apartment downtown will cost you about $2,000 per month.
- On the other hand, a three-bedroom apartment outside of downtown will cost you about $1,500.
- Prices vary depending on whether or not bills for electricity, gas, internet, etc. are included.
- Monthly electricity bills range from $50 to $60. They also vary depending on your consumption. For example, if you use electric heat, your bill can be as high as $150 per month.
- Gas bills generally range from $10 to $15 per month, depending on your usage.
- Unlimited Internet service at 10 megabytes will cost you about $50 per month.
Links to find student housing
The following links can help you find student housing: