Studying Pharmacy In The USA


Find out in this article, how to study pharmacy in the United States.

Length of Pharmacy Studies in the United States

The U.S. Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program, requires at least two years of pre-professional (undergraduate) coursework. This is followed by 4 academic years (or 3 calendar years) of professional studying.

In addition, the pharmacy degree is no longer available in the United States.

Admission Process

Currently, the pharmacy admission process is very competitive for all applicants. For example, the classes required for admission vary by pharmacy school.

In addition, the majority of pharmacy certification programs in the United States require all applicants to apply through the Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS).

Restrictions for applicants from outside the United States

In reality, some U.S. pharmacy institutions do not consider applicants for admission from outside the United States (international students). Therefore, international applicants may compete for a limited number of positions. Or, they may not be admitted based on institutional and state policies.

Private Pharmacy Colleges in the United States

Private pharmacy institutions generally offer non-U.S. citizens more positions in the program compared to state-supported public institutions.

Indeed, international students should visit the PharmCAS directory or the website of each U.S. pharmacy school. This is in order to determine if they are eligible for admission.

When non-U.S. citizens are admitted to a U.S. institution, the applicant must have met the same minimum admission requirements as other (U.S.) students. Including the core course requirements and standardized tests.

In addition, applicants who have completed a pre-pharmacy study outside the United States will be required to submit original foreign copies or an external copy evaluation report in accordance with the current regulations of the school to which they are applying.

In addition, some pharmacy schools do not accept pre-pharmacy courses at a foreign institutions. This may require the completion of pre-pharmacy courses at an accredited U.S. university.

TOEFL Language Test

In cases where English is not the applicant’s primary language; the School of Pharmacy may require English proficiency tests:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
  • Test of Spoken English (TSE)

Working in Pharmacy in the United States

Foreign pharmacy graduates who wish to pursue a career in the United States must complete a Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Certificate (FPGEC). Thus this certificate (FPGEC) provides a means of documenting the equivalency of the applicant’s foreign pharmacy degree.

Questions regarding the FPGEC, certification, and licensing of foreign pharmacy graduates should be directed to the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy.

However, many states have additional testing requirements, so contact the board of pharmacy in case you want to learn more. NABP provides contact information for contacting each state’s board.

Doctor of Pharmacy in the United States

Last but not least, if you have already earned a pharmacy degree at a foreign institution and would like to pursue a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree in the United States, you may want to consider post-pharmacy (B.S.) studying programs.

In addition, there are some colleges and schools of pharmacy that accept graduates of foreign pharmacy programs for admission to post-pharmacy (B.S.) degrees: Doctor of Pharmacy Pharm.D.