UK Immigration & Work Visas


The British government requires several conditions to accept an application for a work visa. The documents required are as follows:

• A certificate from an employer in the UK who wishes to hire you. Without this document, this type of visa may be denied.
•A valid passport.
•Provide a bank statement showing a balance of at least £945 within the last 90 days, or an accommodation certificate for the first month of your stay in the UK.
•Certified translation of certain documents into English.
•Additional documents depend on the country and social status of the applicant.
•Obtain fingerprints and a photocopy of the application at the Visa Application Centre (for the biometric residence permit).
•After acceptance, you will be able to obtain a Biometric Residence Permit within 10 days prior to your arrival in the UK.

Please read the guide on the official website of the UK Immigration Service for a complete list of required documents.

Does a UK work visa allow you to bring family members to the UK?

This visa allows you to bring your partner (wife or husband) and your children, up to the age of 18.
If you intend to bring a relative over the age of 18, you must submit all financial information 90 days prior to the visa date. This is simply because the government imposes a minimum amount of money to support each person you bring along.

For example, you will need to have £2205 if you want to go to the UK with your spouse and child (£945 to support yourself, plus £630 for your spouse, and £630 for your child).

As part of the application, you will need their fingerprints and passport photo to show the biometric residence permit.

You can obtain a Biometric Residence Permit within 30 days of your arrival in the UK.

In exceptional cases, the British government can also extend the duration of your visa and grant you a residence permit. This is possible, provided you are still working where you started or have an official position and your children have reached the age of 18.

How long can you extend your work permit?
You can apply to extend your visa for a maximum of 5 years under the same conditions as your first visa with regard to biometric information (fingerprints, photos…).

If you change jobs, you must present a certificate of recommendation from the new employer.

The British Government requires that each visa applicant be proficient in English. Each person will have to pass the B1 exam in written and oral comprehension and expression.

People with English degrees and bachelor’s degrees are exempt from this test.

Also, residents of countries with English as an official language, such as Ghana, are excluded from this process.

Of course, this information is subject to change from time to time. You can refer to the official website of the British Home Office for all information via this link.