Working During Your Studies In The UK


As you can read in our article The cost of studies and living in the UK. We have gathered all the information about the costs of studying at UK universities. Studying and living in the UK is very expensive. Find out how to work and study in England.

There are hundreds of jobs and opportunities for international students in the UK. As an international student, you can work up to twenty hours a week during your studies.
In addition, you can only work in the UK if your university is on a list of different universities and institutions from which students can work alongside their studies.

International students studying for a full-time Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. degree can work a maximum of 20 hours per week.

In addition, they are allowed to work full time during vacations and summer for undergraduate students.

If you are studying at a university that is not on the list of universities whose students are allowed to work, then you will be deprived of this privilege and will not be able to work part-time as a student.

In addition, doctoral students may work full-time during the period between thesis submission and testing, which is a vacation period.

Although, some employers will not allow you to work full time during this period. It depends on the employer’s policy.

What kind of job are you not allowed to do as a student

You can work and study in England, but you can’t do all the jobs like:

– Self-employment and commercial activities.
– Professional sportsman, including as a sports coach.
– Full-time employee.
– Intern in a job that has nothing to do with your field of studies during your internship.
During the period of employment, you will be required to pay income taxes. The tax rate is determined by the amount of money you earn from the job.

What kind of work can you do?

Part-time jobs in cafes or restaurants

If you have good communication skills and want to provide services that meet all demands, don’t hesitate to apply. In fact, there are many jobs in this field that will help you develop your communication skills. In addition to generating sources of income to cover your costs and expenses.

Apply as a customer service agent

Do you have the skills to handle client requests in a professional manner? If so, many jobs will inevitably improve your communication skills. Then, will develop your English level and finally, solve some problems related to your studies.

Part-time work in retail

In fact, there are many retail jobs and opportunities available for students. These jobs are good opportunities for you if you are able to provide a graduate level of customer service. And of course allows you to communicate with people from different backgrounds every day.

Work for postgraduate students in the UK

Some students wish to stay in the UK after completing their undergraduate studies to gain experience. These are required to apply for a work visa in the UK.

Here are the types of visas you can apply for:

  •  First, the Start-up Visa: This visa option applies to all students who wish to develop a business in the UK. However, support and approval from one’s university are mandatory. Also, this applies to all graduate students of all majors.
  •  Then, the Tier 2 Visa: This type of visa allows you to stay and work in the UK after completing your studies. It is open to new graduates with a Bachelor’s, Masters or Ph.D. degree from a reputable university. Before applying, you must have a job offer from a licensed employer and earn a minimum salary of £20,800.

After five years of work, Tier 2 visa holders can apply for an unlimited visa to stay in the UK. This is only if they meet the £35,000 salary requirement and other relevant eligibility criteria.

  • Finally, the Tier 4 Visa: This visa includes students who have completed their Ph.D. at a UK institution of higher learning. These students will be eligible to reapply for 12 months after the completion date.