Working in Germany After Graduating From University


Germany is known for its creativity and innovation in many fields. In addition, it is known as one of the countries with the lowest unemployment rate in Europe. In fact, studying and working in Germany after graduation is an attractive option for many students.

Those who are familiar with the customs and traditions of German society have more advantages in finding a job. Here is an overview of the requirements for international graduates to work in Germany after graduation.

Studying and working in Germany as a foreign student

If a student does an internship during school vacations, the number of hours is deducted from the annual limit. Even if the internship is unpaid. However, an academic internship, which is considered an academic requirement, does not count toward the hour limit.

International students can study and work in Germany at the same time. Either full-time for 120 days or part-time for 240 days per semester. However, if the student holds a university job on campus as a student guide or research assistant, his or her working hours do not count towards the annual limit. However, the student must inform the International Enrollment Office of the type of work.

International students from outside the European Union are not allowed to work as freelancers or self-employed. In Germany, students can earn up to 450 euros per month without being taxed. This is because income tax is automatically deducted from monthly salaries above these amounts.

If the student is taking a preparatory language course, he or she can only work in his or her free time. He/she will need to obtain permission from the Federal Employment Agency and the Aliens Authority only.

Working in Germany after graduation

If students want to stay in Germany to find work after graduation, it is very helpful to be fluent in German. The number of open jobs would be very limited without it.

International students who are citizens of the European Union have the right to look for work in Germany without needing a work permit. Indeed, they receive the same treatment as the German population in terms of access to the labor market, working conditions, as well as social and tax benefits.

Students from outside the European Union who wish to work in Germany after graduation must extend their residence permit. Basically, the state allows them to stay for up to 18 months in order to find a suitable job for their studies.

The papers and documents needed to obtain an extended stay permit

  • A valid passport.
  • University certificate or official document from the university confirming that the student has successfully completed his/her studies.
  • A document proving that the student has health insurance.
  • Proof of financial support for the student during the job search period.

General notes for international graduates who wish to live and work in Germany after their studies

  1.  The extension period, which can be up to 18 months, begins as soon as the graduate receives the results of the final examination. Therefore, the
    Therefore, the job search must begin in the last semester. In addition, the graduate is permitted to allow, during these extended months, work as many hours as he/she works as many hours as he/she wishes and in any type of work in order to support him/her, his/her needs.
  2.  Once the graduate has found the required job, he/she must apply for a German residence permit.
    must apply for a German residence permit or an EU blue card. In addition, the graduate can stay in Germany while waiting for the application to be approved.
  3. Indeed, the blue card is preferable to the German residence permit for those who intend to live and work in another EU country.
  4. The application for the Blue Card requires a job offer for an annual salary of at least 49,600 euros. However, if the graduate wishes to stay and reside in Germany, he or she can apply for a settlement permit two years after obtaining a permanent residence permit or a blue card.

Professional Training in Germany

International students in Germany also have the option of changing their academic course of study to a more practical one. Vocational training is also one of the safest options for working in Germany. It prepares students to enter the German job market more effectively.

To opt for this option, students must first apply for a change in their residence permit. They must submit their application to the Federal Employment Agency (BA) for review. The requirements for obtaining a vocational training visa in Germany are as follows

  • A training place in a company or school in Germany.
  • The language level required for the vocational training in question is usually B1 level in German.
  • If you are training at an educational institution, you will need to open an escrow account or provide a statement of support. If you are training in a company, the company will have to pay you a salary (minimum 909 euros gross), which will serve as proof.